Tuesday, November 4, 2008

She Plays the Piano



In Wisconsin last week I found the John Thompson Hymns and Fur Elise. Both were a dollar. Tonight I played through the hymns, which wasn't too taxing, as it isn't much above Teaching Little Fingers to Play.

I also played through Down By the Bay. Jonge and Famke are in Florida this week, but that is no reason for me to slack off in the piano playing department. I found that book years ago for a dime. It isn't something I remember singing with my kids, so it seems new to me.

Not so with Perhaps Love, which came in a wedding song book for two dollars a while back. That one is loaded with fabulous songs. Perhaps Love and For You being two of my favorite John Denver songs. My favorite is Grandma's Feather Bed. Sadly, that song didn't come in the book of wedding songs. Perhaps it should have, for me.

Anyway, I have stacks and stacks of piano music now. I cannot stop myself, because I remember being told that it was too expensive, so when I see it for mere dimes and dollars, I buy it. Wouldn't you? If you are reading this blog. You would. I know you would.

5 comments:

anonymous said...

ahhhh yes, Grandma's Feather Bed. I would probably have that at a wedding. I love the part about kissing Aunt Lou. :) That always cracked me up as a kid. I sure do love John Denver. Annie's Song is one of my favorites. For You is probably a close second. They just don't make good music like that anymore (or if they do I don't hear it because I rarely listen to the radio).

Is Down by the Bay the one with "Down by the Bay, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...." that one? My kids LOVE that song...in school both of my boys' classes made up their own little books where the kids had to make up the rhymes. Very cute.

Melissa said...

If I played the piano, I would

Simply Thrift said...

Alaine, recently I saw a picture book of Grandma's Feather Bed at Barnes and Noble. I WANT it. And, it is THAT Down By the Bay. I have the hardest time with that tune, which is why I have the book at the piano. Jonge is picky about me getting tunes wrong.

ME, you don't need to play the piano - it's cheap and fabulous decoupage paper!

Simply Thrift said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I do use it for that - but I find that it is not as necessary to be obsessive if I don't play.. ;)